- DURATION 60 mins
Get ready for a sunny picnic season with a personalized tote bag! In this online arts and craft event, Amy will guide you through creating a stencil from a still life of your choice and transferring it onto a tote bag. Using a cereal box, you will learn how to cut out your design and consider important factors when stenciling onto a bag. Amy will share her progress with you, and you'll have the opportunity to share your own as well, learning from each other's experiences. Take yourself off mute and chat away while you work! Join us for a fun and creative session and leave with a beautiful bag you can be proud of.
You will need:
- still life items, which could be things you'd take on a picnic or things you might buy from the shops (fruit, milk bottle, cake etc), or perhaps some spring flowers/ plant. It could even be one item, such as an apple that you can stencil big!
- Cotton tote bag, or something similar- or fabric you can make into a bag later
- the cardboard box from a pack of cereal or similar
- fabric paint (you can use acrylic paint mixed with fabric medium)
- a stencil brush/ flat ended brush to apply the paint
- a craft knife and cutting surface
- tracing paper (to transfer your design)
- Duration: 60 mins
- Online Zoom event: Join from your computer, phone or tablet (no replay available)
- Check the list of materials needed
Meet the Host, Amy Hutchings
Amy Hutchings is a printmaker, based in Bristol, specialising in silkscreen and hand print techniques. With a passion for colour and line, her work captures the every day. Amy is also involved in many different community art projects and loves using art to engage with different communities.
Preparing for the Event
For the best experience, you will need to have Zoom downloaded onto your computer. Please ensure you're connected to broadband/wifi rather than using your mobile phone connection (3G/4G).
We also recommend that pets are either calmly sitting on your lap or in another room, and any refreshments you may require are within your reach!
Spring into Summer Still Life - Stencil a Tote Bag has supplementary learning materials provided by the event host. Once you book an event, you will get access to these resources.
What if I can’t make the event?
If a recording’s available for the event, you can still register for it and we will send you an email with a link to a recording shortly after it ends.
Will my camera be on and will I be visible to the other people?
Your camera and microphone does not need to be on for you to enjoy the event. The choice about whether to do this is completely yours.
How do I watch the live event?
Rest Less events are hosted on Zoom, a computer application that allows you to attend online events just by clicking a link. For detailed instructions, please go to our "FAQ" page, which you can find a link to in the nav bar at the top of the page.
How do I sign-up for and access the recording? (Recorded events only)
Book the event as normal (as if you are attending live). After the event ends you will automatically receive a post-event email with a link to the recording, as long as the event was recorded. You do not need to do anything else and there is no separate booking process for recordings only. Please note it can take up to 24 hours for Zoom to process recordings.