- DURATION 60 mins
Join the Mirthy Book Club for a coffee and chat morning to discuss the July Book of the Month, 'First To Go' by Pam Skelton. We will keep off the spoilers- this is just a chance to talk about books and authors, recommend our favourites, and have a chat with other bookworms in the community. This is a more informal meeting and a free event.
All you need is an electronic device, a mug and a table!
- Duration: 60 mins
- Online Zoom event: Join from your computer, phone or tablet (no replay available)
- Join as an individual
Preparing for the Event
For the best experience, you will need to have Zoom downloaded onto your computer. Please ensure you're connected to broadband/wifi rather than using your mobile phone connection (3G/4G).
We also recommend that pets are either calmly sitting on your lap or in another room, and any refreshments you may require are within your reach!
Bridget has to make a huge life decision to move from Ireland to America, risking never seeing any of her friends or family again.
- What's the biggest life decision you've made?
- Have you ever moved to another country for an extended period of time?
- What do you regard as being the most challenging aspect of Bridget's move?
- Would you be able to do what Bridget did, leaving everything behind in pursuit of a new life?
Letters play a key part in the novel as they are the only means Bridget has of communicating with her family and friends.
- What's the most important letter you've ever received?
- What's the most important letter you've ever sent?
- Have you ever communicated solely by letters to someone living far away from you?
Has anyone watched/read anything similar to 'First to Go'?
When leaving Ireland, Bridget narrates "I decided I should try and remember every little detail, every moment- every sound, every sight and even every smell of my homeland".
- Have you had any similar experiences that come to mind when you left a place wanting to remember every aspect of your surroundings?
- Activity: Think of a place you've visited and write down every detail you can remember. Try to include all the senses!
Bridget views nursing as her 'vocation': Do you believe we have 'callings' or specific 'purposes'? Is this the same as a 'vocation'?
Really good enjoyed meeting people and the book stimulated a wide ranging discussion ,this feels like a really good format
The event was very nice and friendly: everyone welcomed the other bookwormers very heartily. Therefore we could exchange our opinions on the prompt questions in a lively atmosphere. The host was very good as usual. I do appreciate Abby for her kindness, wit because she always drives the attendees on the right path to let everyone have their saying. Thanks. I’ll try not to miss the Book Club Morning Cafe in future.
What if I can’t make the event?
If a recording’s available for the event, you can still register for it and we will send you an email with a link to a recording shortly after it ends.
Will my camera be on and will I be visible to the other people?
Your camera and microphone does not need to be on for you to enjoy the event. The choice about whether to do this is completely yours.
How do I watch the live event?
Rest Less events are hosted on Zoom, a computer application that allows you to attend online events just by clicking a link. For detailed instructions, please go to our "FAQ" page, which you can find a link to in the nav bar at the top of the page.
How do I sign-up for and access the recording? (Recorded events only)
Book the event as normal (as if you are attending live). After the event ends you will automatically receive a post-event email with a link to the recording, as long as the event was recorded. You do not need to do anything else and there is no separate booking process for recordings only. Please note it can take up to 24 hours for Zoom to process recordings.